[smokeping-users] Re: Daemons Stops - No graphs created - after few hours

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Mon Nov 29 15:17:15 MET 2004

I've had this problem before - but only with Open/FreeBSD. I'm currently
running on a Gentoo distribution of Linux (www.gentoo.org) with version
1.31 and it seems pretty stable.

I have often seen the problem you describe coincident with a DNS
resolution issue. That is, if DNS fails to resolve a particular box, the
scan cycle takes too long (i.e. scan 1 doesn't finish before scan 2
begins). This overlap apparently causes some consternation. I have also
seen it happen when a particular alert is executed and a device is
offline for a long period of time (again, this might also be overlapping
scans).

You might check to make sure you don't have any unreachable targets.

Answers to specific questions below can help discern the answer to the
above recommendation. :-)

Dan

Uncomment the following line in your config file to enable logging
# syslogfacility = local0

Be sure that your /etc/syslog.conf has somewhere to put logs generated
by local0 facility. By the way, the default priority is "info."

*.local0	/var/log/messages

> I also read about debugging mode. How can one enable it ?

Just start SmokePing with the --debug option. It will generate loads of
information to stderr.