[smokeping-users] Re: graph question

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Wed Apr 13 09:11:28 MEST 2005

On 13.04.2005 05:35 Jason D. Hammerschmidt wrote

>>> This is going to be a really dumb question, but can someone explain
>>> to me
>>> the relevance of the light/dark gray entries on the smokeping graphs?
>>>  Is
>>> this the variance over the 20 requests?
>> Actually it's not really the variance but all of the n values scattered
>> around the median.
>
> Excellent question actually, but I am confused about the answer.  If
> it's variance around the median, why do so many of my graphs show grey
> lines skewed on only one side?  Usually upwards?  If it was around the
> median, should it be grey on both sides of the main coloured bar?  Or
> does that represent something different?

Imho that may only happen when the set of ping results consists of only
two values. The lower one is the coloured line and you have exactly one
grey shadow above. In any other case you should have grey shadows on
*both* sides of the coloured line.

Arnold