[smokeping-users] Re: graph question

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Apr 15 15:18:03 MEST 2005

Wednesday Arnold Nipper wrote:

> On 13.04.2005 05:35 Jason D. Hammerschmidt wrote

> >> Actually it's not really the variance but all of the n values scattered
> >> around the median.
> >
> > Excellent question actually, but I am confused about the answer.  If
> > it's variance around the median, why do so many of my graphs show grey
> > lines skewed on only one side?  Usually upwards?  If it was around the
> > median, should it be grey on both sides of the main coloured bar?  Or
> > does that represent something different?
> >

> Imho that may only happen when the set of ping results consists of only
> two values. The lower one is the coloured line and you have exactly one
> grey shadow above. In any other case you should have grey shadows on
> *both* sides of the coloured line.

assume you have the following values

5,5,5,5,5,8,9,10,11

then the median is 5 ... and you will see grey only above ... this
is actually quite a normal behaviour ... since pakets seldom travel
faster, than normal ... only slower ...

> Arnold
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286