[smokeping-users] Re: SmokePing 2.0rc5, RRDtool 1.2.11 and UTF-8

Leoš Bitto smokeping at leos.cz
Mon Aug 15 12:00:02 MEST 2005

Erich Titl wrote:

> Leoš Bitto wrote:
>
>>Tobias,
>>
>>thanks for your hint. Apache really did not propagate the environment
>>variable LANG. First, Red Hat resets LANG to C in
>>/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd, and second, they do not pass LANG to any CGI
>>script by default (I wrote a simple CGI script to prove this). As soon
>>as I added "SetEnv LANG en_US.UTF-8" to Apache's configuration (to the
>>appropriate .htaccess file, surrounded by <Files "smokeping.cgi"> and
>></Files>), everything started to work fine.
>>

> I tried it the canonical way, the html output works fine but the
> generation of the mini panels does not show the correct umlaut values.
>
> Here is my .htaccess file in
>
> /srv/www/vhosts/mrtg.asp.ruf.ch/cgi-bin/.htaccess
>
> <Files smokeping.cgi>
>         SetEnv LANG=en_us.UTF-8
> </Files>
>
> I tried with the full filename too, restarted apache and smokeping to no
> avail.
>
> Would you mind to show us the relevant part of your .htaccess file?
>
> Erich

Erich,

in my previous mail I wrote:

As soon as I added "SetEnv LANG en_US.UTF-8" to Apache's configuration
(to the appropriate .htaccess file, surrounded by <Files
"smokeping.cgi"> and </Files>), everything started to work fine.

That composes the following contents of .htaccess:

<Files "smokeping.cgi">
SetEnv LANG en_US.UTF-8
</Files>

You did not have quotation marks around the file name - fortunately this
makes no difference for Apache. Additionally you have added = and that
is what breaks it. Your syntax sets the variable named LANG=en_us.UTF-8
to an empty value. Delete that equals and try again.

Leoš