[smokeping-users] Cannot get DYNAMIC target? (was: curl for a dyndns host doesn't work)

Marc Haber mh+smokeping-users at zugschlus.de
Tue Aug 23 10:50:40 MEST 2005

Hi,

I am trying to fping an host which is behind a dynamic IP address and
uses dyndns. When fpinging the dyndns host name, everything is fine.

Now, I would like to plot IP address changes into the graph as well.
This is what I need the DYNAMIC function for, if I understand the docs
correctly.

I have the following config:

++++ example-dyndns-org-fping

#host = example.dyndns.org
host = DYNAMIC/<password>
email = First Last <example at example.org>
menu = example.dyndns.org fping
title = example.dyndns.org fping

The cron job is running on the remote side, and I see POST requests
(with a 200 return code) in the apache access log.

However, smokeping doesn't plot any data, tcpdump doesn't see any
pings going out to the address, and smokeping --debug doesn't show the
IP address in the fping command line.

Where does smokeping store the IP address of the dyndns host which is
probably contained in the POST request coming in from the remote cron
job? I suspect that the web server is not allowed to write to that
place on my system.

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc