[smokeping-users] Smokeping working erratically

Peter Farmer pfarmer at hashbang.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 12:28:57 MET 2005

Hi all,

I recently upgraded smokeping from version 1.24 to version 1.38 so that
I could use some of the new plugins.

I've been plagued by the following problem, which is intermittent. The
backend runs fine, but the web frontend craps out with the following error.

Can't call method "step" on an undefined value at
/usr/local/smokeping/lib/Smokeping.pm line 855,  chunk 225.

Line 855 of Smokeping.pm is:

my $step = $cfg->{__probes}{$tree->{probe}}->step();

I assumed this error meant the probes wanted to have an individual "step
= 300" type line, so I did this, it fixed it for a while, but for some
reason its now giving the error again.

I've installed smokeping on a test box, and it works fine (admittedly it
doesn't have so many targets). I've been through the config on the
broken version and can't find anything obviously wrong with it.

The live box is running FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p5.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Cheers
--
Peter Farmer