[smokeping-users] Re: patch candidate for FPing.pm probe

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sat Feb 5 13:01:49 MET 2005

In article <F1C891E8-4B93-11D9-ADC4-003065FB84C2 at xmlhq.com>, cwitte wrote:
> Hello,
> I am new to smokeping, and am a very happy user.  However, when I first
> installed smokeping running the FPing probe, I was confounded by
> smokeping reporting "no packet loss" for periods of known packet loss.
>
> Upon further investigation, I found that the fping probe was sending
> all of it's pings out at the beginning of the period, and the
> connection went unmonitored for the duration of the period.  This was
> verified with ethereal and ps.  (ps shows the fping command quits
> shortly after being launched).
>
> I modified FPing.pm to calculate the delay between ping packets based
> on the configured period length, so that the pings would be sent over
> the duration of the period.
> (Added the -p parm to fping with a calculated parm).
> The modified probe is attached as FPing_delay.pm, and can be run along
> side of FPing.pm for verification/comparison, etc.
>
> If this change is acceptable, I think it would be good if it were
> included in the distributed FPing.pm probe.
>
> Chris Witte

Hi,

just found this oldish mail.

I think this is an interesting suggestion, but it should probably
be made optional (ie. only enabled through some variable in the
config file, like "spread").

The same sort of feature could be hacked into basefork.pm so
all the non-FPing probes could do this too.

Of course, you can achieve more or less the same effect by just
shortening the 'step' variable so the pings are sent more frequently.
This just has the disadvantage of being harder on the network.

Tobi, any thoughts?

The patch by Chris is still here:

> -- Attached file removed by Ecartis and put at URL below --
> -- Type: application/octet-stream
> -- Size: 4k (4651 bytes)

Cheers,
--