[smokeping-users] Re: Curl probe always return 100% loss with some web site

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Mon Jan 10 12:48:28 MET 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 05:14:17PM +0800, Joe Shen wrote:

> I installed smokeping on RH Linux AS2.1 and want to
> use Curl probe to fetch the entrance web page every
> 5min.

> With "time curl http://www.sina.com.cn" it shows
>
> real    2m52.090s
> user    0m0.010s
> sys     0m0.020s
>
> How can I deal with such problem?

Well, a single fetch seems to be taking almost 3 minutes, and you have
configured Smokeping to fetch the page 20 times every 5 minutes. So the
Curl probe never gets finished and is killed when the timeout occurs.

The solution would be to increase the 'step' parameter and/or decrease
the 'pings' parameter. Note that with Smokeping 1.36 you can do this
for just the Curl probe while keeping the parameters for the rest of
the probes (if you're running any).

(It would be nice if the probe could signal back the number of
succesful pings when it's killed by the timeout code, but at the moment
it doesn't. In your case you would still get constant 95% loss.)

HTH,
--
niko