[smokeping-users] Re: packet-loss changes

Chris Wilson chris at aidworld.org
Thu Jan 20 12:52:39 MET 2005

Hi Bernd,

I have noticed problems with using smokeping to monitor large numbers of
hosts, where fping would not wait long enough for replies to come back
from the slowest servers. This probably depends on the order in which
they are pinged. You could try modifying smokeping/lib/probes/FPing.pm,
to add an extra parameter to the fping command time, to set the timeout.
For example:

    my $pid = open3($inh,$outh,$errh,
                    $self->{properties}{binary}, @bytes,
                    '-C', $self->{cfg}{Database}{pings},
		    '-q','-B1','-i10','-r1','-t20000',
                    @{$self->addresses});

In this case I have added '-t20000' to set the timeout to 20 seconds.
Probably a 1 second timeout (-t1000) would work better for you.

To support my number of hosts, I had to hack fping.pm to reduce the
select time. I can explain more if anyone is interested.

Cheers, Chris.

(aidworld) chris wilson | chief engineer (chris at aidworld.org)