[smokeping-users] Re: syslog logging location

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Wed Jul 13 20:09:34 MEST 2005

Smokeping uses whatever syslog program you've got running. For standard
Syslog, that would be /var/log/messages. Of course if you are using
another syslog tool (there are a few others), it could be different.

Check the file "/etc/syslog.conf" for the actual location. The MAN page
for this file is available
http://www.netadmintools.com/html/5syslog.conf.man.html.

I used to have this problem on FreeBSD. It turned out to be an
excessively long DNS delay causing the smokeping iterations to step on
each other. Make sure you validate that your smokeping is running. It
sounds like it's stopped polling and updating the RRD files. The command
"ps -ax | grep smokeping" should give you a list of relevant running
programs.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: smokeping-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch
[mailto:smokeping-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Srinivas
Makam
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 12:51 PM
To: smokeping-users
Subject: [smokeping-users] syslog logging location

Hi,

I specified syslogfacility = local0 in the config file.

Where does SmokePing write log info? What is the path to the local0/info
?
Is it dependent on the OS (Red Hat Linux)?

Another problem:

My SmokePing server stops collecting data after a few minutes. The
graphs show some activity for about 20 minutes and then nothing. I see
sendmail running wildly. Are the alerts caused by excessive packet loss
from some of the targets cause sending the email and no data collection
from all the targets?

Please shed some light on this problem!