[smokeping-users] Iteration taking longer than the polling cycle

Srinivas Makam smakam60540 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 20:49:56 MEST 2005

Hi,
I am getting the following single warning message when I started up SmokePing. Some targets are known to be non-responding (IP address may be non-existent).

        smokeping[2386]: FPing: probing 630 targets with step 300 s and offset 79s.
        smokeping[2386]: FPing: WARNING: smokeping took 313 seconds to complete 1 round of polling. It should complete polling in 300 seconds. You may have unresponsive devices in your setup.

What would be the impact of this? In my instance, smokeping is not showing data after two or three days. The server seems to be locking up also ( ssh and telnet services don't respond for remote login). Since this is a head-less server, I have to walk to the machine and reset it.

Any ideas how to handle the case of non-responding targets without causing smokeping to stop and affecting the server?

Thanks
Srinivas