[smokeping-users] Re: Using Rsync

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jul 22 19:51:48 MEST 2005

If you enable passwordless ssh access from your collectors to the
central host you can do the following from your collector --

/usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -W -e /usr/bin/ssh
/usr/local/smokeping/var/[some branch]
your.central.host:"/usr/local/smokeping/var/"

We opted to use the -W (whole file) option since bandwidth usage wasn't
a consideration for us. I'm not sure if rsync's partial file support
works with rrd files so YMMV if you use that. We sync 6G of rrd files
every 3 hours using this method and haven't had any problems in 3 years.

--
Marc