[smokeping-users] Re: Iteration taking longer than the polling cycle

Srinivas Makam smakam60540 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 20:06:39 MEST 2005

Chris,

This is to update you on the pinghost server issue of
locking up.
Since last Thursday, it is running OK. We can do ssh
and http remotely.
I made some changes to the SmokePing configuration.
Fping timeout was reduced from 5 sec to 1 sec for each
target host. The number of fpings per target in each
iteration was reduced from 20 to 10. The iteration
interval (polling) was increased from 5min to 7min.
The rationale behind this change is that we have a
large number of (630) targets we are monitoring. This
needed the readjustment of smokeping parameters to
make it work properly.
This seems to fix the problem. We will observe for a
few more days and see what happens.

Thanks
Srinivas

mailto:smokeping-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=help