[smokeping-users] Re: FreeBSD problem

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sat Jun 4 19:18:57 MEST 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:03:30PM +0200, Marcin Kmetko wrote:
> I've installed smokeping (pkg_add) 1.31_1.
> The install process adds  rrdtool-1.0.49      .
>
> I have perl-5.8.6_2
> Freebsd 4.11
>
> When I try to run smokeping error appears :
>
> Can't locate RRDs.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/smokeping/lib

> I tried to link RRDs.pm from
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/RRDs.pm
>
> but then another error appears
> Can't locate loadable object for module RRDs in @INC ...

Hi,

I don't know much about FreeBSD, but the RRDs library installation is
specific to the Perl version, and the problem is that they are mixed up
on your system for some reason.

The straightforward way to fix this would be to grab the rrdtool
source, compile it against Perl 5.8.6 with a prefix like
'/usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.49-perl-5.8.6' or something like that so that
'make install' doesn't overwrite the other rrdtool package. No
promises, though :) You'll then have to point Smokeping to use the new
library path, of course.

Hope somebody will speak up if there's a FreeBSD-specific way that's
more proper. AIUI, the smokeping port in FreeBSD is in some sort of
flux due to the problems with RRDtool 1.2.x vs. 1.0.x, so maybe that's
why the packages are broken...

HTH,
--
Niko