[smokeping-users] Re: Background colors

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Mon Jun 6 10:25:28 MEST 2005

Well, at the risk of self promoting, tSmoke (see the CONTRIB directory)
does a pretty fair job of keeping my boss happy on measuring uptime for
specific hosts as well as groups of hosts.

The weekly summary shows availability (as opposed to uptime) over
several durations in a nice HTML formatted mail. The downtime summary
shows individual host downtime.

One major drawback is that the round robin databases default
consolidations cut off the five minute interval at 3 1/2 days so your
accuracy for weekly measures suffers slightly. However, this evens out
for monthly and quarterly measures since the consolidations relative to
downtime tend to make shorter outages disappear and longer outages
become multiples of half hour and hour measures.

Showing host uptime vs. how long you had a dynamic IP address will be an
interesting addition to Smokeping!

Dan