[smokeping-users] Re: What is needed to make SmokePing run on Linux

Mario Oosters mario.oosters at easynet.be
Wed Jun 8 21:10:52 MEST 2005

To be honest,

I am relatively new too linux and had quite some difficulties to get
Smokeping running on a freshly installed Suse machine. I guess that the
documentation is fairly well for somebody who knows Linux well, but for
me... It took me about 2 days to get everything running correctly.
(Smokeping 2.0 rc5 + RRDTool 1.2.9)

Example : Why does speedy smokeping.cgi worked and gave an error can not
spawn backend process in the apache logfiles?? Apparently this was due to
the security settings of the config file I believe... For a guy who is
relatively new, this can be a hard nut to crack. For a newbie it's close to
impossible... Anyway I am thinking of setting up a newbie documentation for
others and for some of my colleagues to install this awesome tool.

I know off course that he should have read the website because he can see
the packages needed to run there, which would have answered his question.