[smokeping-users] Re: What is needed to make SmokePing run on Linux

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jun 8 22:13:21 MEST 2005

I would propose that Smokeping and tools like it aren't normally run by
'newbies' and are targeted toward system and network administrators who
are generally more familiar either with Linux in general and/or are able
to understand the general processes of obtaining and installing software
pre-requisites, configuration of web sites, troubleshooting processes
etc. Most newbies don't have a use a tools such as smokeping. The most
basic assumption I would guess is that the installation of Smokeping
isn't your first foray into installing and configuring software under
Linux. Additionally, it is impossible for the documentation to cover
every possible problem that could occur on every possible distribution
so the person installing the software is expected to have a familiarity
with the system that it's being installed on along with it's quirks and
limitations (they chose that particular distro after all) and be able to
use their own experience, the documentation, google, the list archives
and then as a last resort the list itself to resolve those problems they
do encounter.

--
Marc

documentation

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/smokeping/docs/index.en.html

> > What more could you need?
> >
> > --
> > Marc
>
> A spoon to feed him with, oh, and let's not forget the SysOp's
HandHolding

[snip snip]