[smokeping-users] Trouble with host = DYNAMIC

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Thu Jun 16 13:00:01 MEST 2005

Hello.

I'm having trouble getting a probe to work for a DYNAMIC host, and
would appreciate
any tips.

My monitoring machine (bark) runs SmokePing 1.38 on Fedora Core 3.
This machine
does some iptables-based NAT, as my ISP gives me just one IPv4 address.

Bark has the following configuration section for my laptoy.

	+++ sixte

	menu = sixte
	title = My iBook G4
	remark = I usually have this with me
	email = Niall O'Reilly <niall at no8.be>
	host = DYNAMIC/<stuff>

Tha agent script has arrived in my mailbox, and I've run it.  It
appears to do the
registration magic, since the configuration file is re-written with
"/<stuff>"
after where there was only "DYNAMIC" before.

Tcpdump on bark shows bursts of 20 ICMP echo requests being duly
emitted and the
replies coming back.  The relevant .rrd file is being updated, just
like for the
fixed-address targets.  Whenever smokeping.cgi generates an image, it
shows 100%
packet loss.

Running Fping manually from the command line in a terminal session on
bark shows 0%
loss (total success, thus);  I conclude it's not my iptables
configuration on bark.

I'm missing something.  I don't know what.  I'm expecting a
"DOH!-moment" when
someone tells me.  Of course, I'ld prefer an "Aha!-moment".

Thnaks in advance for any tips.

/Niall