[smokeping-users] Curl \ EchoPing to individual hosts

Warrick FitzGerald lists.smokeping.wfitzgerald at crtman.com
Thu Mar 10 00:30:06 MET 2005

Hi All,

I have about 20 web server load balanced behind a Layer 4 device. I
would like to requests the same URL of all web servers individually (ie
not via the load balancer).

When a request comes in, the web server looks at the host header and
decides which site to server up.

So lets say all 20 servers server up www.mysite.com

I would like to have individual trends running against each server, but
here's my problem:

EchoPing:
echoping -h /SomePage -n 20 10.10.5.10

There is no way to specify the Host seperatly from the IP that's being
connected to, so the IP now becomes the Host.

The same problem exists with the Curl plugin.

So the perfectly clear, the problem is the plugins that can do HTTP
calls should support 4 basic parameters:
IP Address (e.g. 10.10.5.10)
TCP Port (e.g. 80)
Host (e.g. www.mysite.com)
URI (e.g. /SomePage)

A great example of such a tool is the one used in Nagios Check_http ..

Does anyone have any alternate solutions to this problem?

Thanks
Warrick FitzGerald