[smokeping-users] Alert Specific Events

Vitt, Gregory (IT) Gregory.Vitt at AGEDWARDS.com
Wed Mar 16 16:34:32 MET 2005

Hello,
We have largely successfully set up events and alerting based upon specific patterns, etc.  However, we have hit upon a snag.  I can put an event in the 0 level and the event works just fine, like this;

*** Alerts ***
#to = somebody at somewhere.com
from = smokealert at somewhere.com
to = |/var/opt/OV/local/OV/bin/testsmokeevent

+dnsfailure
type = rtt
pattern = >1000,>1000
comment = DNS taking 1 second or more to resolve, likely outage

+testalert
type = rtt
pattern = >2
comment = This is a test value to test a alert...not for production
#to = |/var/opt/OV/local/OV/bin/testsmokeevent

*** Targets ***

#some other config stuff left off

+googledns
menu = DNS query google.com
title = Google DNS Query to dnsserver
host = dnsserver
probe = DNS
alerts = dnsfailure,testalert

but when I comment out the event at the 0 level and add it at the level 1 like this;

*** Alerts ***
to = somebody at somewhere.com
from = smokealert at somewhere.com
#to = |/var/opt/OV/local/OV/bin/testsmokeevent

+dnsfailure
type = rtt
pattern = >1000,>1000
comment = DNS taking 1 second or more to resolve, likely outage

+testalert
type = rtt
pattern = >2
comment = This is a test value to test a alert...not for production
to = |/var/opt/OV/local/OV/bin/testsmokeevent

*** Targets ***

#some other config stuff left off

+googledns
menu = DNS query google.com
title = Google DNS Query to dnsserver
host = dnsserver
probe = DNS
alerts = dnsfailure,testalert

I get an error;

ERROR: /usr/local/etc/smokeping_config, line 84: unknown variable 'to'.   (Line 84 is in red above, and I highlighted the config lines that I change between running error free and erroring out in pink, except line 84 of my config file.)
Any idea what I am doing wrong here?  I am certain I read in the documentation that "to" was an optional variable in level 1 of alerts. I have probably messed up something else, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way...so far I like Smokeping a lot.

Thanks!

Gregory J Vitt
Technology Engineer
Enterprise Event Management System/Network Management Systems
xt. 5-4453

A.G. Edwards & Sons' outgoing and incoming e-mails are electronically
archived and subject to review and/or disclosure to someone other
than the recipient.