[smokeping-users] Re: modifying the graph to display higher time resolution

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Thu May 19 20:32:17 MEST 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 12:58:46PM -0400, Jason D. Hammerschmidt wrote:
> My smokeping config is set to run 20 pings every 120 seconds (2
> minutes), but my graphs still show 5 minute windows where the median is
> constant.  Is there a way of changing the period of the graphing?  In
> presentation I have a 1 hour graph, and it hasn't seemed to have made
> any different, it still presents in 5 minute intervals.
>
> config excerpt:
> *** Database ***
>
> step     = 120
> pings    = 20

Hi,

it sounds to me like you might have created the underlying RRD files
with the default 300 second step, and only modified the parameter
afterwards.

>From the manual:

step (mandatory setting)

   Duration of the base operation interval of SmokePing in seconds.
   SmokePing will venture out every step seconds to ping your target
   hosts.  If 'concurrent_probes' is set to 'yes' (see above), this
   variable can be overridden by each probe. Note that the step in the
   RRD files is fixed when they are originally generated, and if you
   change the step parameter afterwards, you'll have to delete the old
   RRD files or somehow convert them.

This could be verified by running something like

% rrdtool info file.rrd | grep step

HTH,
--
Niko