[smokeping-users] Re: who can explain the different color gray smoke on the smokeping graph?

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Tue Oct 11 14:08:35 MEST 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:24:30AM +0800, ChunjingHan wrote:

> I have 2 question about smokeping.
> 1) when I use the smokeping 2.0.1, I find the smokeping.pm has an error in line 723,the line 723 is following:
> my $rrd = $cfg->{General}{datadir}."/".$dir."/${file}.rrd";
> the correct sentence is :
> my $rrd = $cfg->{General}{datadir}.$dir."/${file}.rrd";

Thanks. I think this is just a cosmetic problem - $dir always starts
with a slash when it's defined, sure, but two slashes in a row aren't a
problem for any Unix I know of. Does this affect the behaviour of the
program for you?

> 2) I confuse the gray smoke in the graph.In the rrdtool, the cp1,cp2,...is pictured by area type,but the gray smoke doesn't  exist  below the loss line,only exist above the loss line.
> who can explain the different color gray smoke on the smokeping graph?
> why?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question. The 'loss line'
illustrates both packet loss (with its color) and the median latency
(with its value). The smoke around it illustrates the fluctuation in
the latency.  The darker the smoke at a certain latency value, the more
samples are further from the median than that value.

Typically there's more fluctuation with values that are above the
median than with those below the median, since non-overloaded
networks mostly operate at close to their peak performance.

Hope that made sense,
--
Niko