[smokeping-users] Re: Experience with FreeBSD 6.x and Smokeping

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Wed Dec 6 21:38:31 MET 2006

Sorry for any confusion. I meant to say that the loss shows up as 1/20
missing, not 19/20 good. I wasn't looking at a graph when I sent the
email. It's still light blue and two right after each other. Again, any
insight or help is appreciated!

Vinny Abello wrote:
> Are there many people using FreeBSD 6.x and Smokeping?
>
> I asked this a while back but nobody seemed to have any input. Ever since moving from FreeBSD 5.3 to 6.0 (currently 6.1) I have been seeing artificial loss in smokeping that does not exist. It always shows up as two repeated intervals of 19/20 packets received (light blue) and never at the same time on any of the monitors. I think there is some sort of ICMP rate limiting or something else going on in the kernel but I have never been able to locate it. Users on the FreeBSD-Stable list didn't have any input either. You can clearly see on all of my graphs at the precise time I upgraded from 5.3 to 6.0 there is slight loss from that time forward. It makes the graphs that are logged for long periods of time look bad (always light blue) instead of mostly green which they should be (for my network anyway). I've done numerous tests with other tools to verify there is no packet loss from the same machine. I cannot reproduce the statistics I see with Smokeping using anything else. I

'm

--

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear"
-- Mark Twain