[smokeping-users] many ip addresses, short amount of time

Jeff Williams jeffwilliams05 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:29:01 MET 2006

Hello list,

I am using smokeping 2.0.5 and probing 6749 ip addresses using FPing.
I would like for each round of polling to complete in 10 minutes. Most
of the time it does, but sometimes it does not. I get quite a few
messages per day that say "FPing: WARNING: smokeping took 663 seconds
to complete 1 round of polling. It should complete polling in 600
seconds. You may have unresponsive devices in your setup." Sometimes
it takes longer than that if we are having network issues at the time.

I can provide the essential parts of my config file if necessary. I am
using a step of 600 and 5 pings. For graphs, I am displaying last
hour, last 3 hours, last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 30 days, and last
year. I am using a packetsize of 100, a mininterval of .001, and a
hostinterval of 0.1 with the FPing probe.

Being that I am very new to smokeping and relatively new to rrd, I
probably made some errors in my config that are leading to inefficient
check times.

Is smokeping designed to handle this many ip addresses in one
instance? Or am I doing something wrong in my config file?

Thanks.

Jeff