[smokeping-users] Re: many ip addresses, short amount of time

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Tue Feb 7 20:02:19 MET 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 08:29:01AM -0600, Jeff Williams wrote:

> I am using smokeping 2.0.5 and probing 6749 ip addresses using FPing.
> I would like for each round of polling to complete in 10 minutes. Most
> of the time it does, but sometimes it does not. I get quite a few
> messages per day that say "FPing: WARNING: smokeping took 663 seconds
> to complete 1 round of polling. It should complete polling in 600
> seconds. You may have unresponsive devices in your setup." Sometimes
> it takes longer than that if we are having network issues at the time.
>
> I can provide the essential parts of my config file if necessary. I am
> using a step of 600 and 5 pings. For graphs, I am displaying last
> hour, last 3 hours, last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 30 days, and last
> year. I am using a packetsize of 100, a mininterval of .001, and a
> hostinterval of 0.1 with the FPing probe.

Hi,

6749 targets is a lot. Have a look at

http://lists.ee.ethz.ch/smokeping-users/msg01728.html

It basically says that the measurement time is around 20 milliseconds /
host / ping, which seems apply to your situation as well. I don't think
reducing mininterval below DEFAULT_SELECT_TIMEOUT compiled into fping (10
milliseconds by default) helps anything. I don't know how small timeouts
select(2) can handle, but you could try lowering DEFAULT_SELECT_TIMEOUT
and recompile.

The other recommendations in the above link apply as well: consider
splitting the probing between multiple servers, possibly with the
Smokeping '--filter' option, or define two FPing probes and split the
load between them.

Hope this helps,
--
Niko