[smokeping-users] Re: fping issue?

Kennedy Clark hkclark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 23:37:53 MET 2006

On 1/26/06, Dez Cadena <dez at otenet.gr> wrote:

> Updating myself here...
>
> I've realised that fping only succeeds if I set the packet size to
> something really small (e.g. 20bytes)
> whereas ping has no problem with the default packet size (56). The
> mystery remains.

Two things to try:

1) If you have access to the 2600 router, telnet/SSH to it and do a "term
mon" and a "debug ip icmp".  Might give some clues.  Could also do a "debug
ip packet detail <acl_#>" for a slightly different view.  Should help
indicate if: a) echo requests are reaching the router, and b) if it is
responding.

2) Capture a few sample packets with both ping and fping using tcpdump.
Assuming you are SSH'ed to to a UNIX box, you might try something like:
    tcpdump -p -w <filename_here> not port 22
Then do a ping each way and Ctrl+C to kill the capture.  You can then view
the file with something like Ethereal.

I would be glad to check out the output of either if that would be helpful
(feel free to delete anything confidential first).  Probably best to email
to me directly vs. posting to the list.

Regards,