[smokeping-users] Re: Smokeping Data Base Export

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Extensity.com
Tue Jul 11 19:43:55 MEST 2006

While I was researching tSmoke, I came across several items which I
think might help. However, none of them were a panacea. The each
required some additional coding...

1) RRDTool distributions include PERL bindings (RRDs.ppm) which can be
used to script functions like rrdfetch (to get data over a span of time
from an RRD). Check the old website for documentation:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool-1.0.x/perlbind/index.
html

2) RRDTool includes a feature called rrddump which dumps the information
directly to an XML file. Excel will eat an XML file... your mileage on
how useful this is may vary. Check the new website for documentation:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrddump.en.html

3) CPAN has a PERL module that will write out an Excel spreadsheet
directly, Spreadsheet::WriteExcel and Spreadsheet:SimpleExcel:
http://search.cpan.org/search?m=all&q=excel&s=11

In the end, I realized that I had access to the data in the PERL
bindings and that PERL could add and subtract as well as Excel. So I
used PERL to do the calculations and create an HTML file with an
embedded table.

Dan