[smokeping-users] Changing database for more detailed history

Eric Brander eric_mailing_list at rednarb.com
Tue Jul 25 23:14:42 MEST 2006

List,

I don't want to reinvent the wheel - and I feel certain that others have
already encountered this small hurdle and have overcome it. I'm just
looking for your suggestions and explanation.

I want more detail in my historical logs. I know this involves the RRD
row-count. Despite my efforts to work it out I just can't seem to wrap
my brain around it.

I currently poll most of my devices with 20 pings every 5 minutes. Many
however are polled with 20 pings every 1 minute, or 5 dns digs every 5
minutes. You get the picture, my polling and quantity change based on
need. However, I have all of these in one config file, and therefore
they all use one database rule set.

What I am trying to accomplish is to set all of my RRDs to provide at
least 3 months of historical data at their smallest increment.
Afterward, I do want some consolidated history for at least 1 year, but
I'm not as concerned as to the detail.

So, what I'm asking for is an example of what other SmokePing users have
come up with for their historical needs with regard to row-count. Your
help is sincerely appreciated!

TIA,

Eric Brander