[smokeping-users] Re: Using BIGLOSS, but I shouldn't I guess..

Leos Bitto smokeping at leos.cz
Fri Mar 3 10:23:36 MET 2006

Eric Brander wrote:
> I'm using BIGLOSS to send me an email when Smokeping encounters big
> packet loss. In cases where we lose a site (someone turned off the
> power) I get a BIGLOSS notification. Then a few minutes later I get a
> report of it clearing... I guess 100%, 100%, 100% (u,u,u) no longer
> counts as bigloss...
>
> So what should I be using to notify me when we get complete drop-out?
>
> TIA,
>
> Eric Brander

This is what I use to monitor hosts being unreachable:

+turnedoff
type = loss
pattern = <100%,==100%,==100%
comment = host not responding

+turnedon
type = loss
pattern = ==100%,==100%,<100%
comment = host back again

I could use only one ==100%, but then I get alarms when the host is just
quickly restarted, too.

Leos