[smokeping-users] Re: passing parameters to fping?

Peter Klausner peter.klausner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 15:51:18 MET 2006

fping's 500ms default timeout was a problem for me,
so I did exactly the same hack.
Additionally, I wanted to fix it "properly",
but on further research abandoned that:
The solution already exists!

See http://smokeping.paracoda.com/doc/smokeping_upgrade.en.html :
"2.0.4 to 2.0.5
FPing
The 'timeout' variable has been removed. It was used to give the fping
command the -t parameter, but as this parameter is only effective in
fping's default mode, while Smokeping uses the counting mode (-c), it
never actually did anything.

I propose to re-introduce that parameter,
as it
a) seems to work with most installations
b) is actually needed with links of latency > 500ms

Peter Klausner