[smokeping-users] Re: Alerts cause Smokeping to stop working

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Tue May 2 08:42:57 MEST 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 11:20:59AM +1000, Craig Dibble wrote:

> I've got two servers running Smokeping - one (Server A) monitoring 127
> hosts with fping, the other (Server B) in another city monitoring just
> 11 hosts.
>
> When one device stops responding on Server B it stops logging data for
> all the hosts it is monitoring, but when the same thing happens on
> Server A it steps over the failures and carries on.
>
> During outages the logs on both servers are filled with messages like this:
>
> May  1 10:55:20 mon01 smokeping[9540]: FPing: WARNING: smokeping took
> 130 seconds to complete 1 round of polling. It should complete polling
> in 60 seconds. You may have unresponsive devices in your setup.

Hi,

some clarifications:

- Do you have any alerts enabled in the Targets section?

- Is the above quote from server A or server B? If from A, please include
  it from server B too. (Server A is not interesting here; it's working
  'well enough' and is an ancient version.)

- When server B stops logging, does the smokeping daemon die or is it
  just doing nothing? Does it recover when the unresponsible devices
  come back?

There are two problems here: the parameters should be tuned so that
you never get the 'smokeping took ... seconds' message, even when
the targets are down, but obviously Smokeping should recover from it.

I don't quite understand why the messages show up in the first place
with the FPing parameters you have, but I'll look into that.

The best help would be the output of 'smokeping --debug-daemon' at
outage time, but of course I realize that might be a bit hard to get
given the verboseness of it even when everything is OK.

The output of 'smokeping --debug' when everything works would be good
to have too.

Cheers,
Niko Tyni	ntyni at iki.fi