[smokeping-users] Re: Multiple smokeping daemons failure

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 10:13:43 MEST 2006

On 10/3/06, srj at netprl.com <srj at netprl.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> We've been running parallel smokeping daemon instances, based on filters
> and a single config file.
>
> After an upgrade we now get error messages and only the first daemon
> starts.
>
> I'm wondering if support for multiple instances using filters got dropped?
> If not, please point out what I need to do to gain back this very
> useful function.

Hi Steve,

I don't recall the details of 1.X, but 2.X uses the "piddir" directive
in the config file to create a "smokeping.pid" file.  It then uses
that to check for an already-running instance in the code that creates
a daemon.  I haven't tried it, but I would assume you could have
multiple instances running if each has a different "piddir".

Regards,
Kennedy