[smokeping-users] Re: How to configuring email alerts

mchandler at solutions.canon.com mchandler at solutions.canon.com
Thu Oct 26 17:46:53 MEST 2006

Have mailhost filled out, or sendmail, using both may be confusing it.

Chandler Bing

             Syed Waqqas Ahmed
             <s.waqqas at yahoo.c
             Sent by:                  smokeping-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
             smokeping-users-b                                          cc
             ounce at list.ee.eth
             z.ch                                                  Subject
                                       [smokeping-users] How to
                                       configuring email alerts
             10/26/2006 07:23
             AM

hello all,

  Can any one help me out.... how to configure email alerts by using
smokeping.conf file...

  My smoke ping is working fine but do not send any email alert when ping
breaks ... the send mail services are working fine.. as  i am able to send
email using the following command...(i am using a seprate smtp server not
the localhost)

  sendmail -v s.waqqas at yahoo.com

  but i do not recieve any email while there is a ping break
  my mail alert configuration is as follows

  owner    = Network Operations Center
contact  = s.waqqas at yahoo.com
mailhost = (my working smtp server)
sendmail = /usr/lib/sendmail
imgcache = /var/www/html/smokeping/images
smokemail = /etc/smokeping/smokemail
  *** Alerts ***
to = s.waqqas at yahoo.com
from = waqqas at localhost
  +bigloss
type = loss
# in percent
pattern = ==0%,==0%,==0%,==0%,>0%,>0%,>0%
comment = suddenly there is packet loss
  +loss
type = loss
# in percent
pattern = ==0%,==0%,==0%,==0%
comment = suddenly there is packet loss
  +someloss
type = loss
# in percent
pattern = >0%,*12*,>0%,*12*,>0%
comment = loss 3 times  in a row
  +startloss
type = loss
# in percent
pattern = ==S,>0%,>0%,>0%
comment = loss at startup
  +rttdetect
type = rtt
# in milli seconds
pattern = <10,<10,<10,<10,<10,<100,>100,>100,>100
comment = routing mesed up again ?

  + Citywise
  alerts = bigloss,startloss,rttdetect,loss

  kindly check the configuration and suggest m i missing something or is
there any configurational problem in this...

  and if there are any alternative way to configure email alert when ping
is lost please mention that..

  Thanx
  Waqqas