[smokeping-users] capacity issues with CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP probe

Dez Cadena dez at otenet.gr
Tue Oct 31 10:44:32 MET 2006

Hello all,
I've been using the CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP probe to produce COS graphs. I'm
using a cisco3845 as my SAA probe
and a linux server (dual xeon2.8G, 2G RAM, fast SCSI disks) for
smokeping. I've been monitoring 4 hosts x 4 classes
of service = 16 targets. No problem so far.

When I tried to increase the number of hosts from 4 to 20 (i.e. 80
targets), smokeping couldnt complete *any* round
in 300 seconds:
"smokeping[14594]: CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP: WARNING: smokeping took 631
seconds to complete 1 round of polling.
It should complete polling in 300 seconds. You may have unresponsive
devices in your setup"
No graphs are produced of course...

Any ideas how to resolve the issue? I've thought about having 2 or 3
probes with different offsets but still I dont think
it would scale up as my goal is to have 500 targets. I suppose I could
reduce the number of pings from 25 to 15 but I'd
rather not do that.

Any input would be appreciated,

Here's a relevant sample of my smokeping config:
*** Probes ***
+ CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP
pings = 25
packetsize = 56