[smokeping-users] master/slave alerts

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sat Dec 8 08:15:40 CET 2007

Yesterday Dave Scott wrote:

> Hi Tobi, thanks a bunch for responding.
>
> So, if I have this correct, the system will send out alerts as they come
> in from slaves or masters, etc.

The salves play no rol in this at all. The alerts get generated on
the server by looking at the data they have ...

> Maybe if the system sends out the first alert then simply does
> not send duplicate alerts for the same failing target.  This way,
> any one of the master or slaves can create an alert, but only one
> alert total gets generates per downed target.

but the alert shuld say 'who' generated it ... after all we are
manyl looking at network connectivity here, it is a different thing
is the link from slaveA->target fails or slaveB->target or both ...

> Because I agree with you guys, we would like the slaves to generate
> alerts too, but with all the nodes we have configured, having extra
> slaves mean our cell phones ring double or triple or quadruple the
> amount of times in the middle of night. :)

so this essentially means there should only be one alert generated,
holding ALL the information ...

> Or, another thing comes to mind, which is probably harder to code, but
> if the system could be smart enough to only send one alert, but indicate
> inside the alert which systems(master or which slaves) see the target as
> down and which don't, then this would be one alert that explains
> everything.

:-)
> What you think?

I am all for it ... do you want to sponsor this ?

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902