[smokeping-users] Measure latency to TCP ports

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Dec 13 17:09:26 CET 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 09:59:37AM -0600,
 tbh <tbh1000 at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 67 lines which said:

> it appeared to me the EchoPing primarily is used to measure HTTP
> requests. It does have options for SSL and SMTP,

or echo, discard or chargen :-)

> but I'm looking to measure latency to other ports as well (ie., FTP,
> Telnet, SSH, etc).

Not done yet, although the new plugin architecture should make it easy
(I'm not sure I will include telnet support, is there any reason to
still use telnet today???)

But, if you are interested only in TCP latency, any port will work,
no? I do not think there exists an OS which replies to connection on
port 80 faster or slower than on other ports.