[smokeping-users] Echoping again

Jacek Osiecki joshua at silvercube.pl
Thu Feb 8 15:33:09 CET 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Niko Tyni wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 10:48:12AM +0100, Jacek Osiecki wrote:

>>> Hm, this could be a locale problem (rrdtool uses strtod(3), which
>>> honors locales), except that lib/Smokeping.pm already resets LC_NUMERIC.
>>> Try to run in the C locale or similar anyway, to rule that out.

>> It might be this issue - I am using locale pl_PL, and in Poland we have
>> comma instead of dot for separating decimal part in numbers... I'll try
>> running smokeping in C locale and will report here.

> Ah, it looks like LC_ALL from the environment overrides LC_NUMERIC
> set inside Smokeping.pm. I assume you're using that?

I simply set LC_ALL=pl_PL, global for system... Now I see how BAD idea it
is, especially when it comes to LC_NUMERIC ;)

> I'm not sure if resetting LC_ALL in Smokeping is a good idea...probably
> not. I guess it's best to bail out with an error message if the locale
> switch doesn't succeed. Does the attached patch do that for you?

The patch caused Smokeping to die at the start with "Resetting LC_NUMERIC
failed - try removing LC_ALL from the environment" message.
I have launched smokeping with: LC_ALL=C /etc/init.d/smokeping start - and
it worked! Finally I can test real response to http requests :)

Thanks for help!

Greetz,
--
Jacek Osiecki