[smokeping-users] RRD Size

eric_mailing_list at rednarb.com eric_mailing_list at rednarb.com
Tue Jan 9 23:53:10 MET 2007

Greets!

I changed some of my targets to 60 second ping interval from 300.
Smokeping of course got angry saying the RRDs were wrong so I renamed
them and restarted. To my surprise the RRD file was the same size as the
previous 300 second step ones. I was expecting 5 times larger!

So now that it has been some time since this occurred, I now see that I
do not have the resolution of this historical data that I had
previously. It seems that the data is now falling off the back-end, so
to speak, 5x more quickly. Which makes perfect sense.

So, if I want 60-second steps yet maintain some decent resolution on
historical data, should I just change all the DB settings to be 5x
larger in the config?

For example, here are the settings 5x the defaults:

# cons   xff steps rows
AVERAGE  0.5   1   5040
AVERAGE  0.5  12   21600
   MIN  0.5  12   21600
   MAX  0.5  12   21600
AVERAGE  0.5 144    3600
   MAX  0.5 144    3600
   MIN  0.5 144    3600

Will this get what I want, or am I incorrect in assuming I need 5x for
the historical?

Also, if I make these changes, can i do it per probe? I don't want 5x
for the 300-second interval targets.

TIA,

Eric Brander