[smokeping-users] strange loss with Radius probe

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sun Jun 10 20:37:16 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 11:08:55AM +0300, Dez Cadena wrote:
> I've been experiencing this strange behavior with Radius probe. I'm
> monitoring a Radius server using
> 3 different setups: one with 5 pings, one with 10 and one with 20. The
> strange thing is that I get significant
> packet loss with the "5 pings" and the "10 pings" and NO packet loss
> whatsoever with
> the "20 pings". Why could this be happening?

Hi,

try 'smokeping --debug', it should give you some detail about
the probing.

My best guess would be that the Radius probe is doing the 20 ping pass
first, but runs out of time for the rest. I don't think the targets
are necessarily probed in the same order as they are specified in the
configuration file.

Hope this helps,
--
Niko