[smokeping-users] disabling DNS with fping

Timo Lindfors lindi at kurp.hut.fi
Tue Jun 26 09:58:13 CEST 2007

Hi,

I use smokeping to monitor the network connectivity of all computers
in our LAN (I have autogenerated smokeping configuration
file). Recently there has been some unexplained packet losses that
last only a few minutes so I have tried to figure out the cause of the
problem by looking at smokeping's rrd.

It seems that smokeping invokes fping so that fping will try to do a
DNS query even if I specify IP addresses in /etc/smokeping/config. If
our DNS server is on the other side of the network problem fping won't
be able to do DNS query and smokeping results won't be accurate,
right?

It seems to me that a simple workaround is to add the "-A" flag to
smokeping/probes/FPing.pm -- any idea how this should be implemented
in a more general way? (Ideally every target could specify whether DNS
should be used or not)

best regards,
Timo Lindfors