[smokeping-users] smokeping's server capacity

Dez Cadena dez at otenet.gr
Fri Nov 30 15:08:16 CET 2007

Ok, so I'm monitoring about 800 devices via CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP through
a Cisco 7200.
I tried to add another 200 devices but then Smokeping couldn't finish in
300 seconds and
my graphs started developing gaps. I'm already using children probes
with different offset
(although this does not improve things dramatically) and I have ultra
fast SCSI storage.

The only way (IMHO) to be able to add more Smokeping targets is to try
and parallelize the
disk write operation since everything else in the process already is
done in parallel.

I have 2 filesystems (different disks) in the server so I could take
advantage of that. The only
way I can think of going on about that, is to split the config in 2,
with "datadir" and " "imgcache"
pointing to different filesystems for each config file. This would
require a 2nd smokeping
daemon.

So, has anybody implemented something similar? Any suggestions?