[smokeping-users] Satellite link - Packet Loss error

Chris Wilson chris+smokeping at aptivate.org
Wed Oct 10 16:37:30 CEST 2007

Hi Tobias,

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> you can also just set the timeout property in the smokeping config
> file for the FPing probe. Note that the timeout is configured in
> seconds there !

Sorry, I can't find the code that passes that parameter to fping, please
could you enlighten me?

> The problem with the timeout is that if you set it to 10s and you
> do not actally have links whith this propperty, then every lost
> packet will cause fping to wait for 10 seconds which can hurt
> performance ...

My version of fping doesn't seem to do that. It just waits for 10 seconds
after sending the last ping to ensure that it's received any
replies/duplicates/etc. that it's going to see.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.