[smokeping-users] Smokeping packet loss issues

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Thu Oct 11 18:51:28 CEST 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 4:42 PM, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Israel,
>
> note the smokeping configures fping with 500ms default timeout ...

note that I mentioned I set the timeout to 2 seconds... :-)

> also fping sends several pings in quick succession .. there may be
> icmp ratelimiting configured somewhere on the way ...

I tried pushing the minimum time between sending packets up as high
as 10 seconds (-i10000) when testing from the command line, but while
it somewhat helped (I got four packets back a couple of times) it
didn't solve the problem- all the packets after the first few were
still lost. Also note that I can run ping on this host with the "-i
0.0001" switch and get no packet loss-and I think that is rather
faster than fping sends out its packets, especially if I give fping a
high -i value. If I run ping with the -f switch, then I do start
seeing some packet loss, but not the 100% loss I get with fping after
the first couple of packets. Letting ping run for a couple of seconds
with the -f switch, for example, only gave me 12% packet loss, and I
was continually receiving packets. There is definitely something else
going on here. I don't suppose there is a standard ping plugin for
smokeping that I could use instead? That wouldn't fix the issues with
fping, of course, but at least it should give me proper results. Thanks!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd