[smokeping-users] Upgrade 2.1.1 -> 2.2.3 smokeping hangs

Sorrell, Al Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com
Thu Oct 11 22:10:56 CEST 2007

On my Solaris 8 system, pinging 0.0.0.1 causes 20 ICMP Host Unreachable
(router, address & host obfuscated) messages at the rate of 1/sec.

$ ping 0.0.0.1
ICMP Host Unreachable from gateway myrouter (aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd)
 for icmp from myserver (xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa) to 0.0.0.1

"Address 0.0.0.X (where X can be any value from 0-255) is reserved.
Address 127.X.X.X is reserved for what is called a loopback address. The
loopback address is used by a host to send a message to itself without
even being connected to a network. This can be used for testing
applications without interfering with the network. " -
http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=348253&seqNum=2

Al