[smokeping-users] [RFC] patch for the 0.0.0.1 problem

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Thu Oct 18 07:45:45 CEST 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 11:07:28PM -0400, Vinny Abello wrote:
> Hi Toby,
>
> I tried this patch against 2.2.4 on my FreeBSD system and get the following in both the smokeping daemon and apache error log from the web cgi:
>
> Your echoping binary doesn't support HTTP at (eval 31) line 1
>
> This is the latest echoping version from the FreeBSD ports. It definitely supports http.

It looks like the minimal change would be to look for "No host name
indicated" first. That's what echoping 6 says when the feature
is enabled:

% echoping -h /
No host name indicated
Usage: echoping <...>

If the HTTP support isn't there, it says

% ./echoping -h /
./echoping: Not compiled with HTTP support.

Version 6 also has [-V|--dump-configuration]:

% ./echoping -V
 echoping 6.0.2 compiled with cc on sid (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
 at 2007-10-18 with options:

 HTTP: disabled
 ICP: disabled
 OPENSSL: disabled
 GNUTLS: disabled
 SMTP: enabled
 LIBIDN: disabled
 TOS: enabled
 PRIORITY: enabled

 Plugins are searched in /usr/local/lib/echoping.

which would be the "right" way to go about this, I guess...

I wonder if we really need all these complications. Maybe just remove the
test and document something like "check smokeping --debug and echoping
features if you don't get any graphs"?

In any case, I can probably fix this next weekend one way or another.
I've just been busy lately...

Cheers,
--
Niko