[smokeping-users] Multiple probe configuration not working correctly.

Chris Wilson chris+smokeping at aptivate.org
Wed Oct 31 11:08:16 CET 2007

Hi Kelly,

> Finally figured it out.  I added the --debug-daemon option to the init
> script and finally got some good error output.  Not sure why it's the
> case; but fping was being more strict about it's options when it wasn't
> running as the root user.  The output showed that fping was complaining
> abou the -i option being set at less than 10.  I bumped up the ping
> interval to 10msec in the configuration file and this fixed the problem.
> Not sure if it's a Gentoo specific issue or just something with fping
> itself.

Ping does the same thing, to try to stop normal users from using it as a
denial-of-service tool. It's not very effective though, because users can
always run multiple pings in parallel to bypass the limit. Same goes for
fping.

It's arguable that this misfeature should be removed from fping. You could
submit a bug report to the authors.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.