[smokeping-users] Curl Graphs blank?

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Wed Sep 12 17:50:44 CEST 2007

Hi Pete;

When an RRD graph is blank, it means null/no data (meaning no data at
all was entered, like a NULL in a database, rather than a zero). With
SmokePing, typically this would occur if the daemon was turned off
during that time period, or e.g. if the probe crashed.  One other
possible cause would be if SmokePing is not able to complete all probes
within the allotted cycle time (e.g. if it takes 330 seconds to run all
of the probes, but you are on a 300 second scan cycle, then some hosts
will get missed).  Check your SmokePing log files to see what's going on
-- it will warn you if cycles are overlapping.

The other thing to do is correlate the information against something
else.  For example, if you're monitoring servers and there is a blank
spot in SmokePing, did the server actually go down during that time?
Are there helpdesk tickets for that system in that timeframe?   If the
server WAS down but the SmokePing graphs are blank, it could be a bug in
the Curl probe.  If the servers were up at those times, it's more likely
the problem described in my first paragraph.

Cheers,
- Peter