[smokeping-users] SmokePing, Ubuntu, and Permission Errors

Richey mylists at battleop.com
Mon Apr 14 13:57:31 CEST 2008

I am trying to get Smoke Ping running  on Ubuntu 7.10 – Gutsy Gibbon with
Apache2.  I can’t get the graphs to do anything.  When I look at
/var/log/messages it’s full of:

Apr 11 07:40:38 toybox4 smokeping[5565]: RRDs::update ERROR: opening
'/var/lib/smokeping/Media.rrd': Permission denied
Apr 11 07:40:38 toybox4 smokeping[5565]: RRDs::update ERROR: opening
'/var/lib/smokeping/Local/LocalMachine.rrd': Permission denied

Googleing, I found a post that says that you need to change the ownership of
the files in /var/lib/smokeping/* to apache.  I think that ubuntu runs
apache as www-data.  So I have tried to change the ownership of the files to
both apache and www-data.   I still get the same results.   Are there maybe
some files in other places that need a change of ownership or permissions?
I have also messed with the ownership of /usr/lib/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi.

I’ve messed with this off and on for a few weeks.  Ten minutes here ten
there so I am sure I am over looking something simple.

Richey