[smokeping-users] FPing alternative

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Thu Apr 17 19:03:32 CEST 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 8:29 AM, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Israel,
>
> the interesting thing to look at, would be why fping does not work
> for you, my guess is that you have some kind of firewall which does
> something to ping packets ... normal commandline ping does not in
> general send as many pings as fping can, since fping pings multiple
> hosts in parallel ...

Good theory, except that some of the hosts we are monitoring respond
just fine to FPing, and the ones that do and don't respond properly
are all the same type of device (linksys RV082).

> Via the probe plugin interface it is possible to write interfaces
> for aribtrary ping like tests, since noone else seems to have the
> type of problem you are seeing, a probe module for normal ping has
> not been written to date ...

Well, so much for that idea. Thanks for the info.

> for a list of available probes, check out
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/probe/

I've tried echoping as well, but I can't even get that one to return
any results at all, no matter which of the options I choose. None of
the others looked like they would be appropriate, but perhaps I missed
something, so I'll look again. Thanks!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907) 450-7250 x293

> cheers
> tobi
>
> Today Israel Brewster wrote:
>
>> Anyone have any ideas here? Or should I start looking for an
>> alternative to smokeping entirely? If so, any suggestions? To date, I
>> haven't seen any non-commercial options that seem to fill the same
>> niche, but maybe I'm just missing something? At any rate, the current
>> situation as described below isn't an acceptable option. Thanks!

>> Israel Brewster
>> Computer Support Technician
>> Frontier Flying Service Inc.
>> 5245 Airport Industrial Rd
>> Fairbanks, AK 99709
>> (907) 450-7250 x293
>>

>> On Apr 15, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Israel Brewster wrote:
>>> Is there a plugin for smokeping that just does a standard ping,
>>> using
>>> the system ping binary? Using FPing I have to give it a
>>> hostinterval =
>>> 15.0 directive in order to get any sort of reliable return, and even
>>> then I have to limit the number of pings it sends out to no more
>>> than
>>> 6 or so. If I try to shorten the host interval, or increase the