[smokeping-users] Graph scale problem

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 14:23:45 CEST 2008

Hi there,

Unfortunately, although I've subscribed and received a welcome message
from the list server, the mail from the list isn't reaching me yet.  I
don't know why but I'm investigating.  In the meantime, please forgive
me if you use a thread-capable mail-reader and this thread is broken.

On Fri, 25 April 2008 David Tomic wrote:

> Bryan K. Hess wrote:
> >
> > ...I noticed a message in the list archives ... same problem...
> > It seems that for some detail graphs, the smoke portion of the
> > graph has different peaks than in other views for the same time
> > and data(!).
>
> This is because of the 'unison_tolerance' setting in your smokeping
> configuration file.

I think the problem is worse than just the 'smoke'.  Since first
installing smokeping a week ago, on many occasions I've seen graphs
where the highest median RTT is different for the same periods on
different graphs.  I understand the difficulty of showing data with a
large dynamic range on a single graph with clarity, but since this is
exactly the sort of thing that we're looking for I'd call this a bug.

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/scales_oddity.gif

Maybe graphs should default to a logarithmic scale?

--

73,
Ged.